Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fancy a Trickle of Pickle?

Chundaa:
My favourite pickle. If there is anything that I really enjoyed in my childhood, it is this sweet, syrupy, shredded mango pickle. Gujaratis are known for their food....one of the most popular combos being "chundo aney thepla."
I am not certain about how it is made since I used to focus on the finer aspects of consumption rather than that of production.
You could try this recipe out, it also lists what this pickle needs to be eaten with. It does not go well with anything and everything. I still think theplas and puris are the only 'breads' that can accompany a generous dollop of chunda!


Jackfruit pickle or "Kathal ka Aachar":
There seem to be different recipes in making this pickle. Not many have heard about this pickle and many do not even like eating jackfruit. The very odour of jackfruit seems to make them green in the face. Yes, it seems to be a rather unpopular fruit amongst many of my friends.
But I just love the thick fragrance of jackfruit. It is a sticky fruit and a pain to clean. But the fruit is delicious and so is its spicy version.
I seem to find this pickle only during food festivals. The stall is usually owned by someone hailing from Rajasthan and the pickles are mostly stored in — believe it or not — buckets!

6 comments:

Droomvla said...

I love jackfruit! I'll see if I can try this recipe here. It looks declicious.

Aristarkhos said...

All the best. I take no responsibility for the recipe link, tho. :D
Let me know how it goes.

Droomvla said...

I still have to look for jackfruit at the oriental store here. We'll see. I'll let you know how it went.

Droomvla said...

Aha, so you had your birthday yesterday! Well, may you have many more birthdays to come.

Men can't indeed live without their wives. Imagine your birthday with your wife not pampering you with her cooking! See...?! Men can't live without us! LOL

For what it's worth, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Aristarkhos said...

I can't live without her cooking, period. :)
About my birthday...am not much of a birthday person, so I really wouldn't mind not doing anything special. But she does it anyways. :)

Droomvla said...

I thought so! LOL

Goa: Tickell's Blue Flycatcher

  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Aristarkhos (@ghelabhai)